The mental health stigma and the Black Woman







I knew it would be a good day when I saw that at the hospital before my assessment...As a Black Caribbean woman (don't dismiss my experience here, it's my turn) it's very difficult, not only admit you need help but it's also terrifying to get it as well. A strong Black woman is what we're supposed to be. What will happpen to me and the children if I admit I am broken? Will they be taken away especially with an absent father and no other support systems in place?

For others seeking therapy is seen as a status symbol of the privileged... That's not the case in my culture. You get mocked and gossiped about. "You know that crazy girl from so and so?"  We shame each other for being weak, were not allowed to be broken. That's not limited to my culture but the stigma is huge.
I had horrendous post partum depression and didn't seek help for that. It was terrifying going that alone 29 and 28 years ago ... I was worried I'd be declared unfit, though being sleep deprived and hormones settling can cause mood swings, hallucinations and depression,  is quite normal after having a baby. There's more support for that now and I urge those who are dealing with it to find support groups.

As Black women, often the sole support for our children, we put them ahead of ourselves even our health and happiness... this needs to stop. We need to stop suffering for everyone, it's killing us. This is my call to more balance in our lives. Happy moms make for happier kids. Those who don't or won't have kids this message is for you too.. we need you more healed and whole ♥️
I hope my journey helps someone out there.

Comments

Popular Posts