Light Skin, The Brown Paper bag and other issues....

So I was talking to my son on this topic of being light skinned. I recently had a conversation with him about the brown paper bag theory....In short If you are a black person and you are a lighter than a brown paper lunch bag you are "supposed" to have a one-up in life over your darker brothers and sisters. It was a huge eye opener to him. Now, I have grown up with this awareness but I do not live by it. I dont go through life with a chip on my shoulder thinking " Im not going to get anywhere because I am dark skinned(and beautifully dark skinned mine you ;) but it doesnt hurt knowing that many people believe this whether it be consciously or subconsciously.

My son is a nice toasty warm brown with cinnamon tones but he is darker than a paper bag by at least 4-5 shades or so. He wouldn't be considered dark skin by most people.
I went on to tell about a fail safe way of knowing (if he was a girl) I said, " go to your nearest drug store, a local one not a large one..if you cannot find your shade of foundation....you are dark skinned!!! ....hahaha! I know this cause I have this problem all the time, finding a good foundation in a regular drug store. CANT DO IT!!! They never have my shade. Im too dark...It's sad but its funny at least to me.
Now don't let me go on about finding a shade that can match my skintone, that was years of torture...I only recently found the good stuff. *sighs*

Comments

Popular Posts